Galveston Hit and Run Accident Defense Attorneys
If you are accused of leaving the scene of a car accident, you are facing serious legal trouble. The various criminal charges can range from a misdemeanor to a felony and there may be civil liability as well.
The attorneys of Tad Nelson & Associates practice in criminal defense, traffic violations and personal injury litigation, offering the comprehensive counsel and representation you need to protect yourself from the most severe consequences.
If you or a family member face hit-and-run charges, contact our League City law firm today. We practice in the Houston area, Galveston area and surrounding counties of Texas.
Leaving the Scene of an Accident
Driving away from an accident — even if no one was injured and even if you did not cause the crash — can result in a range of criminal charges:
- Failure to stop and provide information (non-injury accident)
- Failure to stop and render aid (injury accident)
- Felony hit-and-run (serious injury or death)
- Evading arrest or detection
- Enhanced penalties for driving while intoxicated (DWI)
- Intoxication assault or intoxication manslaughter
For a fender-bender accident or hitting an unoccupied car, it is still a class C or class B misdemeanor crime to leave the scene without providing identification and insurance information. We can often get these charges dismissed or the conviction deferred.
Failing to stop and render aid after a serious accident can be charged as a third-degree felony, punishable by one to five years in prison for a serious bodily injury accident, or two to 10 years in prison for a fatal accident. Our attorneys will exhaust every possible defense to prevent a conviction. What witness or physical evidence connects you to the accident? Can the prosecution prove that you were driving and that you knew or should have known you caused injury?
Galveston County and Houston Traffic Violations
Tad Nelson is a board-certified* criminal defense lawyer with more than 20 years of experience in all aspects of car accidents and traffic offenses. If we can't get your hit-and-run case dismissed, we will negotiate for lesser charges or prepare for trial to avoid or minimize the prison term, felony record, major fines and other harsh consequences.
Call us at 281-667-4579 or 866-550-8295 to find out where you stand, what to expect and how we can help.
* The Texas Board of Legal Specialization certifies attorneys in 20 specific areas of law; certification in any of these areas requires substantial demonstrated experience and skill, positive peer evaluations, ongoing legal education commitments, and the passage of a rigorous test.